Sunday, February 26, 2017

Video | Isabel Foxen Duke | Stop Fighting Food: Control Is Not The Answer



There are SO many things Isabel Foxen Duke mentions in her 5 minute Stop Fighting Food Video #1: Control Is Not The Answer that literally could have been pulled from my journal.

“No matter how hard you try to hold yourself back, you inevitably end up eating peanut butter out of a jar.”
ANY roommate I’ve had since college can attest to this EXACT behavior. What is it about peanut butter?!

“Constantly thinking about what to eat, what you shouldn’t eat, when you can eat”
Umm, yes! All day err day. This is why I’m on this journey!

“If I eat ‘this’ way, I’m okay. If I don’t eat ‘this’ way I feel miserable and I beat myself up for hours and hours or maybe days.”
Yup! If I snack at work I tell myself I’m such a failure. If I eat a piece of cake I tell myself I’m always going to be fat and gross. Meanwhile missing out on all of the life happening in between because I’m in my own head so much.

But it’s not just about recognizing where we are, Isabel gives hope for the future. She tells us,

“No amount of willpower or self-control or diet will ever fix this problem. EVER. This is a mindset problem and trying to fix it with more self control or trying to find the perfect diet is going to leave you as frustrated as you feel now.”

There it is, mindset. This is not about not eating carbs at dinner and making sure I workout 5 times a week. This is about my mindset. How I talk to myself, how I see my own body, and what I say to myself about food. I can’t even tell you how many diets I’ve tried. Weight watchers, paleo, 21 day fix, juice cleanses, smoothies, the list goes on. I think, “If I could just get this right, I’d be happy and I’d never have to think about food.” I can’t even tell you the number of times I’ve prayed, “God give me self control around the cheese and crackers table” only to give in and now not just feel shame to myself, but now I’ve gotten God involved and I feel even worse. So I was relieved to hear Isabel say that this isn’t a willpower problem, it’s a mindset problem.

But how do you fix your mindset? I’m trying to fix my mindset by starting each day with a few belief statements. I might not truly believe them right now, but my hope is that one day I will (fake it till you make it right?). Here are a few examples of the belief statements I’m currently telling myself:

  • I believe I can eat intuitively. I believe I can wait to be hungry to eat and I believe I can stop eating with I’m full
  • I believe I can change the way I talk to myself and see my body
  • I believe there is freedom
  • I believe I am worthy and capable of freedom and change
  • I believe I can gain weight and still be worthy of love, beautiful, and confident

Your Journey:
After you watch Isabel's video #1, what resonates with you? What tips or ideas do you have about changing your mindset around food? Comment below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Journey with me on Instagram!