Tuesday, February 21, 2017

About Journey With Me



The actual words, Journey with Me, were inspired by the Word of God. In Song of Solomon 4:8, I read the words “Journey with me” (while reading The Voice version of the Bible) and was captured by the invitation. Throughout this season of wanting to get fully healthy - mind, body, and spirit - I am always called to imagery in scripture about pathways and wilderness. Psalm 17:5 tells us,

“Your ways and Your voice now guide my journey. I will press on—moving steadfastly forward along Your path. I will not look back. I will not stumble.”

As I read these words and think about my own journey I literally imagine myself on a hike in a small clearing. It’s safe, it’s comfortable, I have a space just to be. But that’s not what life is about. Life is about finding a new trail, new vistas, new adventure, new beauty. Life is a journey. I imagine myself taking steps toward the outskirts of my comfortable clearing, toward the forest, the brush, and the mud. Hesitantly I take a step, pushing branches out of my way as I seek a faint path. I know that path is God leading me and taking me on a journey and adventure that is greater than what I can think of or imagine right now. And I’m scarred. I like comfort. I like the clearing. I like being in control. I don’t like getting scratched by branches or scrapped by thorns or mud on my shoes. But I’m learning this journey, an abundant filled life journey, entails it all. There are thorns, there is brush that needs to get cleared, the path is faint at times, but I’m not alone. This journey is about the open clearings as well as the brush covered path. I’m ready to get scratched. I’m ready to get muddy. I trust the faint path God has provided in this wilderness and I’m going to choose to follow it.

As I decide to choose to love my mind, body, and spirit better on my everyday journey, I keep this imagery with me. When I hear myself say, “I can’t believe you ate all those peanuts, you’re such a failure” I could stop on my path and turn back to go to the clearing of sameness and complacency and comfort. OR I could choose to wipe off the mud, tell myself some truth like, “I believe I can change the way I talk to myself. I choose not to shame myself, but instead show myself grace” and keep moving steadfastly forward along God’s path for my life.

But you know what makes a strenuous hike better? When you’re with a trustworthy, encouraging friend. The mud is more enjoyable and the vistas are more glorious when they are shared. The journey of learning to love my mind, body, and spirit better feels like an overgrown, brush covered, muddy, faint path, but when I’ve got my courageous girlfriends with me, it’s a lot more fun and a lot more hope filled. My hope is that Journey With Me would be that encouraging girlfriend for you on your own journey to love your mind, body, and spirit better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Journey with me on Instagram!