Friday, February 24, 2017

Easy Baked Tortilla Chips


My husband and I LOVE us some Mexican food! We love going to Mexican restaurants (and getting margaritas), but we also love cooking Mexican dishes at home. One of my husbands staple recipes is Sizzling Chicken Fajitas (maybe I’ll write a post on his behalf later) and what goes better with fajitas and margaritas than chips and guac! My husband is SUPER particular about his guacamole… it’s gotta be made with real avocados, be chunky, use lime, and preferably with have some tomato and red onion. I can tell if he’s going to like a Mexican restaurant simply by the quality of their guac. Anyways… one day when we were cooking some Mexican food at home, I decided to experiment with BAKING tortilla chips instead of eating the fried ones from the supermarket. Don’t get me wrong, I love store bought tortilla chips, but these baked tortilla chips are fantastic if you feel like lightening up to make room for more guac!

So today I turned up some mariachi music. Yes, you read that right! What ever type of food I’m cooking, I find the appropriate music to listen to while cooking and eating. If I’m cooking Mexican food I play Mexican music. Making sushi?... I play Japanese music. Fondue?... Swiss yodleling! I’m serious.

Here we go.

I cranked the oven to 350 and got to cutting my corn tortillas. I cut them into triangles, but you could do strips or squares… anything you want!

Pro-tip: Don’t use whole wheat tortillas (they kind of disintegrated). I haven’t tried with flour tortillas… yet!


Spray a cookie sheet with a light dusting of oil and lay out your tortillas slices in a single layer. You don’t have to be as OCD as I am about laying them out, but you get the picture. Spray over the tortillas with another light dusting of oil. Lightly salt (I added some seasoning salt too… yum!). Bake for 10 minutes.


Remove from oven, flip tortillas. Spray again with a light dusting of oil and salt. Bake for another 6-10 minutes before tortillas brown! When they get over cooked they get super hard and too crunchy… like cut your mouth crunchy. No bueno. Err on the side of caution and remove them early.


Remove from sheet, place in a bowl, whip up some guac and enjoy!


While I’m working to bash the “good food/bad food” lists I’ve created due to years of restrictive eating, there is no denying that fried foods aren’t the best for you. I truly do feel more energetic when I ditch the fried goodness. And while I need to work on not feeling shame when I do eat fried tortilla chips, if I have the time and option to make this baked option and that’s what I WANT, there is nothing wrong with it.

Ingredients
Corn tortillas
Olive oil (or any oil) spray
Salt
Optional: seasoning salt, lime salt, get cray!

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the tortillas into your desired chip shape. Spray the cookie sheet with a light dusting of oil. Lay out the tortillas in a single layer. Spray again with a light dusting of oil. Lightly salt. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, flip tortillas. Spray again with a light dusting of oil. Lightly salt. Bake for another 6-10 minutes before tortillas brown! Let cool. Enjoy with salsa or guac!

Your Journey

Do you have any tricks to “lightening up” some of your fried favorites? Share below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Journey with me on Instagram!