Sunday, March 26, 2017

Intuitive Eating Reflection 1


Intuitive eating. Have you heard of it? Intuitive eating, as defined by the creators of the official term, Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD and Elyse Resch, MS, RDN, CEDRD, Fiaedp, FADA, FAND, is:

“An approach that teaches you how to create a healthy relationship with your food, mind, and body--where you ultimately become the expert of your own body. The underlying premise is that you will learn to respond to your inner body cues. On the surface, this may sound simplistic, but it is rather complex.  This inner wisdom is often clouded by years of dieting and food myths that abound in the culture.”


On the surface, it DOES sound simple, but for any of us who have ever been on and off the diet train it’s not so easy anymore. When I’m on a diet, let’s take Weight Watchers for example, I could easily have my whole day planned before I even get out of bed. I know what I’ll eat for breakfast and how many points that will be, my snacks, lunch, dinner, everything is planned. Portions are planned, food is planned. It’s easy right? But what about a craving for something sweet or salty? Or a last minute dinner invite with friends? Not part of the plan. Shame and guilt and preoccupation with food set in.

I’m so used to telling myself what I should eat instead of listening to what I want to eat or what my body actually needs that now my brain and stomach are all confused and can’t communicate or trust each other anymore. I am hopeful learning more about intuitive eating will help me take a step forward on my journey so I’m giving it a try. Here are some of my reflections so far:

Biggest success: I actually get to eat more.

I love this! When I don’t completely stuff myself at every meal (because now I’m learning to listen to my hunger cues, not depending on a list of rules about what I should eat), I realize I’m eating less, but more frequently. And since I love food, this is a good thing! For example, diet me would be more likely to overeat at dinner (I planned to eat this much so you better bet I’m going to eat it all) and not have room for dessert, but I might eat the dessert anyway and feel sick and shame and regret and guilt. Intuitive eater me doesn’t stuff myself at dinner (since I’m listening my body) and I realize I actually have room for dessert and I’m able to enjoy it without shame.

Biggest struggle: Fear of weight gain and hoping intuitive eating will result in weight loss.

I’m so dang fearful of gaining weight and I’m secretly (well not so secret… I’m writing a blog) hoping intuitive eating will result in weight loss for me. Just being honest. I’ve realized at some meals when I don’t feel very hungry and therefore don’t eat very much, I get excited and think to myself, Yes! I’m going to lose weight! Other meals, when I eat what I want and maybe a little too much (re-learning hunger cues is not as easy as one might think) I say to myself, this intuitive eating thing is going to make you gain weight. You’re not a good intuitive eater.

So how do I keep walking forward on my journey? I’m working to overcome my fear of weight gain by journaling about why I’m so fearful about gaining weight, and I’m also telling myself daily statements every morning to set me up for success:
… I believe I can gain weight and still be worthy of love
… I believe I can gain weight and still be confident and beautiful
… I believe these changes will result in the abundant life God desires for me
… I believe I can eat intuitively today

My hope is that these positive statements will replace my negative self-talk and help me embrace whatever intuitive eating means for MY body.

Resources

Your Journey
Does the idea of intuitive eating resonate with you? What parts of intuitive eating scare or challenge you? Journal about it or comment below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Journey with me on Instagram!